Monday 7 March 2011

Time to shift focus...

You know, when i started this blog it was for two reasons. First, i wanted to work off the ring rust after a good few years of not really writing anything of my own. Second and more importantly though, i wanted to channel my energies into something that i could use to demonstrate my writing ability to prospective employers.

Journalism isn't something i ever considered at school, I had this pipe dream to become a fireman, then join the army and last but not least the next Santiago Calatrava, and now the day before my 28th birthday, ten years after i left school with great grades but no real direction I'm writing this in the vain hopes that one day soon someone will read it and think, maybe he's got something here.

Well maybe not this post, this one stinks.

You may have noticed, or maybe you haven't, that the name of this blog has changed from "if I can be ridiculous for a second", a play on the Lance Storm catchphrase of the early 2000's, to "Game for a laugh". This new title reflects the change in focus of this blog in recent months as i have been concentrating more and more on one topic. Games. It's not that there isn't anything else to write about, after all Egypt, Libya, The Ashes series, Chilean Miners and Earthquakes have all been in the news recently, it's just that for some reason I didn't feel like i wanted to write about them. If I write about something it has to be something I enjoy, something that inspires me to do so. Games have always done that for me.

Now, maybe this blog will never gain more than the three followers it currently has (I love you guys), and maybe it'll never reach the eyes of anyone who could offer me a professional career as a writer, but what if it does? I have to keep hoping, at the very least maybe this will entertain some friends for a few minutes and spark some debate amongst us as to the future of the industry.

Either way, writing about games is something i truly enjoy, so being able to do it at any level is rewarding in its own right.

My name is Dave Roberts and from now on I'm game for a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment