Thursday 28 April 2011

The PSN debacle continues...


Mark next Tuesday down in your diaries people, it's the day Sony hopes to restore some of the PSN's functionality according to a new statement from the Playstation Blog. As a registered PSN user myself, I'm anxious to find out what details have been stolen by the hackers. Thankfully, due to my general mistrust of games console software security i never registered a credit card with the service.

On the subject of the PSN debacle, the thought occurred to me today that when you can buy pre paid cards in any store that sells consoles why would you want to register a credit card to your account instead? Is it Convenience? Laziness perhaps? I understand if you live miles from the nearest games outlet, or if you find out about a new downloadable title that you can't wait until Monday to download, but at the same time is it really that big a deal if you can't play a new game immediately?


When i decided to download a title from the PSN recently i was faced with a question. Should I register my card and get it now, or wait until the following evening so that I could buy a £20 PSN card with all the extra security that it brings. Today I'm thankful that I was patient enough to wait, and very sympathetic to those who weren't.


Of course, it's Sony who are ultimately culpable for the data thefts here, and it will be Sony who will foot the bill for any losses incurred by members of the PSN. But it's sensible for all of us to remember that when any of us register a card for a service it's
us that take the risk, at least in the short term. I think Game will be shifting a lot more of those pre paid cards from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment