Monday 27 June 2011

Why i went back to PSP

Maybe i have the worst timing in the world, but i bought a PSP a couple of weeks ago after seeing a pearl white PSP 3000 on sale for a very decent price at HMV. Yes i know that there is likely very little software left to be released on the console, especially with Vita due out at the end of the year, but i have some good reasons other than "It was an impulse buy, lolz".

First i should say that this isn't the first time i've owned a Playstation Portable. I bought one very soon after launch only to trade it in for a DS after i was left underwhelmed by games like World Soccer Tour and Pursuit Force (the latter was apparently a good game but it just never grabbed me). I was disappointed with the lack of software support for Sony's hand held device, while DS was getting the likes of New Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Proffessor Layton and Mario kart. So, what changed?

Well, during the time i was away the PSP developed a very strong library. Puzzle, action, arcade, racing, RPG and downloadable titles available on the PSP offered More diversity and quality than it's Nintendo rival could hope to. Of course it helps that Sony's machine is much more powerful under the hood, meaning that games like The Third Birthday and Final Fantasy's Dissidia franchise could be played on the move rather than only at home.

Oh and I also bought a PS3 at some point too...

Owning a PS3 makes the PSP experience that little bit better. Being able to browse and download things from the PSN store on my home console just feels better, I can start a download and then leave it running while i do other stuff, no concerns for battery life or losing wifi connection thank you very much. It also helps that using the PSP in conjunction with the PS3 makes you feel like a tech genius when, really, anyone could do it.

I've already downloaded Angry Birds for the PSP, an inspired game that perfectly suits my train ride to work every morning where a larger UMD based game might not. Playstation Mini's in general are of great interest to me while Plans are in motion to download Final Fantasy VII thru IX for more extended play while not at home.

Puzzle games have always been a staple of Hand held gaming, from the first time i played Tetris on the Gameboy i loved to exercise my grey matter. PSP has an embarrassment of riches in that department. Lumines, Echochrome, Mercury, Lemmings, the Go! series of puzzle games to name a few are exactly the games i like to play. They challenge you but reward you at the same time.

When did they put a comic book reader on the PSP? Never mind, because i've already downloaded some free samples and i love the concept. I might very well start downloading some titles from the store front. Skype is a nice little extra to have, but I doubt I'll use it much. Music is still a pain in the ass on PSP, but honestly, i have an iPod so why would i want music on a gaming device?

No, the reason i bought the PSP is very simple. I love games, I want to re-play some PS One classics as well as mini's like Angry Birds. I want to play the Third Parasite Eve game and Dissidia duodecishuckyduckyquackquack. I like Tetris but i prefer Lumines and Mario Golf doesn't have shit on Everybody's Golf. Peace Walker? Yes please.

PSP started off slow, it didn't get the support it needed straight away but after a few years it started to hit its stride. Now as PSP is eased into retirement we can see it has a wonderful library of games available to play. Whether they be on UMD or are downloadable titles on PSN the PSP has plenty to choose from, and i've only just begun to sink my teeth into it all. Now is the time to jump on board if you haven't already. My hands are rubbing together so fast you could start a fire with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment